Sunday, December 04, 2005

Preamble

In September of 2005, I became frustrated with my lack of personal and professional growth in Augusta, Georgia and made several calls to traveling therapy agencies in the U.S. A friend had been "traveling" for a year and a half, and had experienced the joy and frustrations of traveling. I spoke to Sunbelt staffing and was impressed by a man named Josh who actually interviewed and quized me on information. Reflecx staffing was also very nice. Soliant seemed distant and disinterested; they could not give me a firm answer to questions regarding benifits. CompHealth was the company my friend was working for, and she was thinking of leaving them due to the abundance of Nursing home placements she was getting.

October first I made the decision and sent my resume and checklist to Josh. Two weeks passed with no word. I called and spoke to Julie on Oct. 17th who informed me that Josh had quit. A less than wonderful beginning. She assured me that she would get to work ASAP to meet my personal goal of resigning by Nov. 15th and starting new employment early January (thus giving me 2 weeks at Christmas off). Nov. 3rd came with no word so I called and Julie told me she would get to work on it. November 11th came, and I had not had an interview. Wednesday before Thanksgiving a phone interview that was expected, did not come. I threw my hands up in the air and told myself I'd start looking again in February and sit tight. Monday night following Thanksgiving I got a message saying I had an interview the next morning at 7:15am. A subacute care hospital in Baltimore, MD called the next morning and I spoke to a pleasant person regarding the nature of the assignment. Then the interview I had expected the week before called at noon offering me a school assignment. I immediately called Julie and expressed a stronger preference for the subacute care hospital, and thus shook hands over the phone for my first assignment.

Wednesday I sent in my contract. Thursday, at 11am, I gave 30 days notice. My first resignation from the place that I had started my career. Everyone was lovely and sad, but were excited about my adventure. Friday was super busy and I had slight panic regarding license challenges. Friday night I drove to Columbia, SC and delivered some flowers to grandma and mom. And said hi to a visiting Aunt. And looked into storage options in Columbia. A climate controlled 10 X 10 can be rented for $104 / month and would fit all of my stuff. Saturday I drove back to Augusta, GA and filled out my application for Maryland license-- which for some reason needed a notary and photo. It also needed my CF supervisor signature, which seemed a bit strange so I planned to call Monday to check that out.

Tonight is Sunday and I've looked over the packet for Sunbelt. Mild panic again due to the amount of STUFF I need to collect. Most alarming is all the immunization requirements-- which I 'm not sure I have! I know my tetanus has expired, but Hep B and some other ones are needed. Tomorrow's plans: call MD license board to check if I need to do CF signature stuff, call Sunbelt to check on needed immunizations and if they will pay for them, and email my doctor regarding my tetanus and titer checks. I will also get copies of my TB test result and yearly physical results. And see my full patient caseload which includes a difficult-to-work-with family who have an augmentative communication device-- they usually tire me out! After I blog, I'm going to head into my bedroom, do 30 minutes of clothes sorting, and crawl into bed.

I'm worried about all my patients. I'm worried about who will take them on. I'm worried about the rapport I'm breaking with them. There's one kid I've had for more than 2 years-- he's a trip and a joy to work with. I think I'll spend the rest of my life wondering if he's doing well. Another we're just getting starting on what will be a long process. Another shares my love of music and will be great with her new therapist- but her mother may murder me! I'm going to be upbeat with my patient's families. Change is good. Change can be very good. New therapists will bring a new perspective and will challenge the commuication of the kids. I've enjoyed being a chapter in all of the kids lives and mark them a very special chapter in my own life. Each child and patient I have worked with has challenged my views of the world and has added a special page to my chapter in Augusta, GA. It will be hard to say goodbye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home