Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Ouch, Needles still hurt

Monday I called the license board and confirmed my supervisors signature was NOT necessary. Then I called my recruiter who reminded me that December started on a Thursday, the Maryland board meets ONLY on the third thursday of the month, and all material must be in their hands 1 week prior to the board meeting. In other words, get that puppy done.

After work Monday I went to my Cardio Kickboxing class and had lots of fun. Then I went to Kinkos only to realize all my paperwork was still in my therapy room at the hospital. Opps. So back I headed to the hospital in my sweaty old work out cloths at 9pm. When I arrived I decided just to sit down and complete the last license requirement, a law exam, that ended up taking over an hour and a half. They apparently are REALLY serious about laws regarding SLPs in Maryland. Back I went to Kinkos to copy everything and FedEx it overnight. At least my company gave me their routing number so I didn't have to pay! I arrived home after 11pm and collapsed on the couch-- still in my workout cloths-- and fell asleep.

I had also emailed my doctor regarding immunizations, but there was no response.

Tuesday I called around the hospital. My kingdom for a doctor willing to stick me with several needles! Come on, there's got to be a doctor who wants to hurt me! I finally found out about a cancellation for the next afternoon and reserved it over the phone.

Today I headed to the appointment at 2pm. I was told I was "not in the computer". The clerk must have noted the slightly postal look in my eyes because she worked me in. Then I sat in a room for 45 minutes, fully aware that my 3pm child was coming in for therapy and he's got an intense mom who will not tolerate tardiness. Finally I stuck my head out the door and talked the nurse into drawing blood.

Then she couldn't find a vein. So I sat, pumped my hand for a full minute, and told her "stick it right...there". She went in blind, complaining all the way, and hit my artery or vein or whatever she needed to hit. Took 4 vials from me and then said she'd be back with the tetanus shot. I received the page that my patient was sitting upstairs and stuck my head out again. Gee wiz, they were out of tetanus shots and it would "take 20 minutes so sit tight". I saw a doctor I knew, explained what was going on, and she turned to the nurse and said, "she can come back at 5pm for that, right?" Off I went at full run to get to my therapy session. Only 3 minutes late.

I came back at 5 for the tetanus shot. I do remember that hurting a lot more when I was a kid. Didn't even pinch-- what's up with that? It is a bit sore this evening, but I'll take a tylonel and that should make it all better.

So my forms are signed. The blood results will be back on Friday-- plenty of time to get a booster if any of my levels are low and still get it in by Dec. 19th. My license info is well in Maryland's hands (wil call tomorrow to make sure). All is good. Still need my color vision test, my drug test, my apartment cleared and moved, my reports completed, and Christmas presents bought-- but one thing at a time!

Reminds me of that song that goes, "life might make you crazy, but just don't let it drive you nuts!" (Jimmy Buffet)

2 Comments:

Blogger Crunch said...

Needles still hurt to me. =)

19 December, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ha. Try getting anthrax some time. That hurts for like three days.

Still, four vials of blood? I might be able to handle two without passing out--provided I didn't actually catch a glimpse of the blood. Icky.

08 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home