Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Back in B-Town




Sorry for the delay between posts. Things have been busy.

Grandpa is feeling much better. Yep, after making all the grueling and emotionally exhausting end of life decisions and fighting the medical staff for comfort measures, he and God decided that he needs to stay here a bit longer. He's had a few bumps on his road to "baseline", but seems to be gaining stregth and even has shown a bit of his fiestyness. We are not out of the woods yet. He had a seizure about a week ago, and he is showing ups and downs depending on the day.

I have successfully oriented myself to my new abode and am enjoying the 20 minute walk to work, the proximity to an active social life, and the gym at the base of my building. Unfortunately, I am also enjoying the new grocery store at the base of my building and have decided I might need a firm rule regarding stopping by said grocery store when I don't feel like nutrisystem food. I have also come to the realization that having a social life is a bit on the unhealthy side due to amount of drinking and eating one does while socializing. Don't worry, my weekly beer has only increased to about 4 beers a week, but the calories are not a nice addition to my waistline. Hopefully hard work at the gym will continue my weight loss or at least keep me in stasis until I can figure out healthier menu items.

I may be taking a trip to Europe at the end of March. We shall see. Apparently there are tickets available for $300 round trip to London plus 2 night stay-- and 2 girls I work with and am friends with (one's my walkin' buddy) are thinking of going. Must locate my passport! And arrange to go ahead and extend my contract through April with a week off for the Europe vacation. That would be incredible if it could be arranged-- I'm doing the research tonight and tomorrow night.

I'm busy here, but not partying too hard. The schedule has been rounded: a happy hour here, a dinner there, went to an art museum, went to the mall, explored cute little shops at Fell's point and hung out on a rainy afternoon in a coffee shop.

I rediscovered my favorite church of all time-- St. Jude's shrine. I went ahead and filled out a volunteer form-- I'm really hoping that I can offer an extra pair of hands for the months that I'm here. The problem is, so many things could use an extra pair of hands but no one is ever quite sure where to put me short term. I'd love to help with a seasonal project or stuff envelopes or WHATEVER. Put chairs up. Pour coffee. ANYTHING. We'll see if they call. I've noticed that many of the volunteers are elderly. Can't seem to find the young catholics here. I'll keep looking! But I do love St. Jude-- the priest offers great sermons, the congregation is multi-cultural, there's a real "spirit" to the mass. I left Sunday feeling refreshed and ready to face the world in a Christian manner-- mass there does seem to color the entire week.

Work is work. I love being a therapist. My patients right now are pretty sick and that's sad, but I know that I'll find those shining stars that not only will be excited about regaining skills, they'll actually be successful at it. Then I'll run into them in Walmart and not recognize them because their hair is done nice and they're not wearing a hospital gown. That's always a nice moment!!!

More later. I'm still working out the jinks on my new camera so my day time pictures are lovely but the great night shots-- not so lovely.

I'll leave you with the view from my window:


And another view, which shows my grocery store:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to your grandpa; we're glad to hear he bounced back! Enjoy Ballmer--I'd love to be lingering over a Philip's crabcake right now!

17 January, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are fitting in nicely there. I like the pics too. I forgot to mention on my last pics post that I have all those pics in much larger form. So e-mail me if you want that Tillman pic at a better resolution.

18 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home