Sunday, June 21, 2009

Home Sweet Home in Hayward, CA

Friday we drove up the Pacific Coast Highway from San Simeon to San Francisco.

This post is a bit delayed (should be dated 6/19/09).

Beautiful. Stunning. Curvy.



Five minutes up the road we stopped at a sign that said "View Elephant Seals". We parked and noticed a few seal heads sticking up out of the water far into the distance. There were louder barking sounds coming from the right of the parking lot so we followed our ears, though a gate and along a bluff. There, 15 feet below us, were a pod of Elephant seals in all their stinky amusing glory. They were enormous.



The seals would heave themselves out of the water, wiggle along for a few feet, then collapse. Then they'd wiggle a few more feet, then collapse. If they accidently knocked into another seal, they argued by lifting their heads way back and barking/burping into each other's faces. It was extremely entertaining and not at all how I expected to spend my first hour "on the road" that morning. A second pod was further down the path, as were several rabbits and some birds. I'm not sure if it was because we weren't expecting this sight, or if it was because it was entirely cool, but I do believe the Elephant Seals are the highlight of the trip.



The curvy beautiful coast continued north through fog layered mountain and sea views. We stopped at a bakery ran by hippies and ate some lovely quiche at a picnic table in the sun. An old man gave me the code to life. He wrote on a piece of paper "A-Z" and "0-9" and told me that with this code you can write your life story. I liked the old bald hippie. The cookie I carried from the store and ate later that day was good enough to make me want to make a special trip back to their hippie garden.



There were some wind surfers in wet suits at one of the beaches, and a surfer dude selling weird two-seeded cherries at another beach. A light house was another stop. We saw more seals there, but nothing compared to the Elephant seal beach.



At 11am I finally received the message from my company as to what address I would be calling home for the next 3+months. A thought this was way too stressful and proclaimed the life of contracting would not sit well with her- she likes a plan. My philosophy is that my company is responsible for finding me a place to sleep- it's not something I worry about. If it's unsafe or gross, I'll send them pictures. That's only happened once in the 3 years I've been traveling! We popped the address in Garmin and continued up the road and then over east to San Francisco.

A helped me unload my car- I told her she could just sit with the car and I'd run the loads up the 3 flights of steps but she's way too nice and wanted to carry as well. It took 11 trips (5 each, and one box that both of us carried). We found target and spent $150 on soap, groceries and other stuff necessary to make a house livable (Soap: dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, hand soap, dish soap for hand washing pots, shampoo/conditioner, 409 and clorex wipes...we are a very clean nation!)

Then we found my new sushi place and had a fabulous dinner. I will be visiting this sushi restaurant often- the BBQ eel was spectacular and the dynamite rainbow row had great spice.

I'm sure I'll be sharing pictures of the actual city of San Francisco in a later post. We do plan on a quick trip tomorrow, but it's more of a scouting trip for me. I'll do the city justice and devote a few weekends to just being a photo-bug. And good news! My brother is selling me his old camera- I'm upgrading from the point-and-shoot that I've taken all my blog pictures with! We shall compare the professional camera to the point-and-shoot and decide if it's worth it to lug it around on my adventures.



Adam- I'll devote a post to your questions as well. Give me a few days and then check back!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ayzair said...

The color on that last shot is amazing! Who needs a fancy camera?!

Glad you're there safely! Call me with an update, but don't forget the time change! :)

22 June, 2009  
Anonymous Adam said...

Hey there, the pictures are stunning!! I went to california for a family wedding and took a trip to San Francisco, visited Fisherman's Warf (I think that's how u spell it)..I had so much fun, and your pictures look awesome and bring back great memories. I am so jealous! Make sure you travel all over while u are there-u gotta take advantage of it!! Looking forward to hearing more and post more pics!
(I gotta go study the tectorial membrane and organ of corti for my audiology class (its an undergrad course..a pre-req for the Masters program...) Just 7 weeks or so till my Masters program starts :-)

23 June, 2009  
Anonymous Rachel said...

Wow girlie! What a trek! I'm glad you made it there safely and I'm glad that you had company along the way with you. Can't wait to read more stories and see more awesome pics. :)

29 June, 2009  
Anonymous Guppy said...

Love the picture of the Ice Plant. I used to have a bunch of those in my backyard in Monterey. Don't walk through them though b/c the sap turns black like tar and stains like crazy. And snakes like to live in there...so, really, don't walk through them.

08 July, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home