Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Vigil

My favorite mass of the year is by far Easter vigil, and it did not disappoint this year.

For the first 15 minutes, we awaited sunset and then blessed the candle that would be used on the alter throughout the year. Then together we walked into church, a candle lit procession, filing into the seats and standing throughout the prayers. Finally, we sat and for over an hour listened to scripture. The first was on the 7 days of creation, the second on Abraham and his attempted sacrifice of his son (a scripture that always makes me feel uncomfortable), then a scripture that I was less familiar with but that forms the basis of one of my favorite songs "though the mountains may fall". A few more scriptures that were vaguely familiar but interesting and peace-filled. The lights remained off with the shadows dancing around us as we listened to our stories. The children in front of me complained they "couldn't see" and the mother turned and whispered, "just listen- that's why the lights are off- just listen". It was nice, listening to scripture in the dark, unhindered by visual distractions or turning pages.

Then the lights came up in full gloria. We sang. We celebrated. Mass began approximately 90 minutes after arriving at the church. These next few scriptures were celebrating Easter and the resurrection. The rituals of standing, sitting, kneeling returned. The priest talked about how Mary didn't come to the tomb that first Easter morning because, of course, Jesus had visited her first before the disciples. It's not in the scripture, but of COURSE he went to his mom. He speculated what they talked about, or if they talked at all. He talked about how Mary had known even before Jesus was born what the prophecy had said. Blessed is the fruit of your womb. She took up her role as mother of the church that Easter morning. The fishermen, who had become disciples, became priests proclaiming the good news that morning. It was not just the resurrection- it was the moment Christianity began. It was not a small moment, in other words.

And in the church, after sitting for over an hour in the dark, then being flooded with the light and feeling joyous, there was an echo of how wonderful all of that light must have felt like to the disciples after 3 days of darkness.

Happy Easter everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ayzair said...

How wonderful! I'm glad you had a moving experience. I teared up a couple times Easter morning, singing "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" and then at communion, though sadly, I don't think the service itself did a lot for me.

And one more thing: Mawwige.

13 April, 2009  
Blogger Fournier Sabatine-Campos said...

Awesome Joel! I am glad to read that you enjoyed this with your family. May God bless you always my brother!

06 May, 2009  
Blogger Fournier Sabatine-Campos said...

I am sorry Kelly...I was going through the webring and I thought that this was Joel's..duh duh duhhh! Take care and Happy Easter back at ya!

06 May, 2009  
Anonymous Beth said...

OMGosh! I soooo need to talk with you. My husband found your blog - I am an SLP thinking about traveling and i think you could really help me weed through all the sales tactics of individual staffing companies. Any chance you could email me? I am at
bcav@live.com

I would be so grateful!

13 June, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home