Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow day with Home Health!

An unexpected perk to working with home health in the south is the issue of snow days! I can't see the road, I can't drive the road, I can't do my job. It's my duty to stay safe and sound on my couch with hot chocolate in hand and watch the falling snow accumulate on my back porch. I'm not sure why the birds are dive-bombing the pool, and I'm wondering if I'll find their little frozen bodies out there later when they recognize their folly of taking a bath when it's below freezing. I did leave some crackers on my porch to give them a meal and warm them up.



I've already walked the 200 twisted yards up the driveway to evaluate the main road, and it sure is pretty out there. I may bundle up and take another walk down to the tracks--today is not the day to explore that island, but maybe it'd be okay to explore the edge of the lake again.

Oh, a cardinal just found the crackers. That's a happy cardinal. Here comes a red one! Red on white snow is truly spectacular! Well, I'll chalk that up to a first: this picture of a cardinal eating the crackers was taken immediately after the sentence "a cardinal just found the crackers" and "That's a happy cardinal". There's a screen between us- I tried to take one earlier and the birds flee as soon as I sneak outside.



I think I'll pop some popcorn for the birds. Too bad I don't get paid to sit at home-- but I think I'm fine with taking the pay cut for a day like today. Later I'll do some paperwork and it'll add to my week hours so I keep the ever important health insurance.

Of course the majority of my day will be spent flipping through the news channels watching the inauguration unfold. I remember how cold it was waiting for our band to enter the inauguration parade for Bill Clinton and how desperate I was to keep my shoe on my foot after it became untied halfway through the parade. There was no greater shame in marching band than to stoop down and break formation so the shoe stayed untied and my attention was split evenly between hitting the the notes of "Carolina on my Mind" and keeping that shoe on. I managed to sneak a peek at Bill and Hillary at the grand stands when we marched by. Part of me feels sorry for the people out there in the cold waiting to join Obama's inauguration parade, and part of me is darn envious of that experience. They will be part of history today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Bob said...

That looks nice. We didn't get jack, so I'm at work now. Oh well. Have fun.

20 January, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so JEALOUS! A Snow Day! Wow.

Also....I knew you were in band but I had no idea that you played in front of the President! Awesome.

I love learning new things about my friends. :)

20 January, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home