Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Screwed by Security

Well, last night I tried to buy a MacBook online. All seemed to be well. I set the delivery address as my brother's because I didn't want the computer to be left on my apartment doorstep. I paid the extra $18 for 2-3 day delivery in order for it to arrive before Friday. Big bro is dropping off nephew, and hopefully the computer, on Saturday for a weekend of fun.

All seemed well.

Then I got a message from MBNA VISA. The were concerned about a series of purchases on my credit card and could I give them a call? I did.

Apparently, APPLE sends out a few test charges to make sure all is well before charging the big one. In my case, 2 $1 charges, a $5 charge, a $252 charge, then the $1300 charge. This raised some flags at VISA, so they denied the $1300 one.

So I had to clear it with them. Then call APPLE and explain what happened, have them re-submit. Then the guy at APPLE informs me that it may not be delivered by Friday because of the delay. So I'm supposed to call Friday if my bro does not receive my computer.

Okay, several points here. #1. Why the heck did APPLE charge me in a way that raised red flags? How stupid is it to send out 3 test charges prior to the actual charge (I understand the $252 charge- that was for my service plan and something else). #2. Why the heck did MBNA VISA deny a charge prior to contacting me? They had ALREADY denied the charge when I called. #3. Why would they bother to deny APPLE? I mean, if it was some joe-blow company then maybe, but this is a well-known legitimate business. I mean, it's APPLE! Good gosh!

I'm pissed, mainly because it may mean not getting my computer this weekend and I wasn't planning to drive to my brother's house the next weekend just to pick up my computer. On one hand, yes MBNA was trying to assess unusual patterns in spending to catch fraud, but on the other hand, it was APPLE! They don't normally dabble in fraud. And if the shipping verses billing raised a flag, all they needed to do was look at the last name. What's the chance of two people with an unusual last name getting together to do fraud??? Grrrrrr. I think mainly I'm just bummed about not getting it this weekend- now I'll have to make a special trip and I was planning a Baltimore trip that weekend. I'm spoiled. And in a bad mood.

But I did manage to hike 7.8 miles on Sunday, tour Luray Caverns AND Skyline Caverns on Saturday and hang out with 2 friends from Baltimore all weekend. We even managed to find a sweet B&B that let us bunk 3 people in one room (2 twins and a rollaway) for $40 each (cheaper than most hotels in the area) and the price included a full breakfast and advice for hiking places. It was a good weekend.

Things have picked up very slightly at work. The education director did not realize that I'm contract and will now utilze me to teach (I'm not sure why she wasn't in on that plan to begin with) and my caseload was 6 patients today (last week it was 2-3 every day). She's a weird one. Hugged me in front of the boss. Has been very professional and distant ever since. Both are weird behaviors. I'm doing my 4th MBSS in the morning. And Chris said I would only get to do 2 or 3 a month! I'm happier now that I'm busier. Still going to the gym despite the stiffness from hiking. 30 minutes yesterday and today I did 45 on the treadmill and 10 rowing, as well as 10 stretching. Tomorrow I'm getting a message to address tight muscles (any excuse whatsoever!) and Thursday I'm joining kickboxing.

It's going to be so fun! Still a bit boring here though. Not really any friends, though everyone is very nice. Mary and I may go out to dinner this week, and there's some speculation regarding speed dating oportunities. We'll see.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, online purchases and credit card companies kind of suck sometimes. I haev had to make that call several times to make sure something went through. But then on the other hand, when I got mugged a couple years back, Discover called and said that someone had tried to use my card at a gas station several times, and they wanted to know if I was having a problem. Told them the story and the confirmed that they had denied all charges. Nice to call though.

But more importantly, which one did you get, the White Macbook, or the Black one? Or did you go for the nice silver Pro?

Congrats on the purchase though, I've heard good things, but they do get quite hot, so no setting it on a pillow or the bed while working.

You'll see.

21 June, 2006  
Blogger Rambling Speech said...

The white one. Why would I pay more for the black one? That's nuts.

I read the arstech article along with several other critiques prior to my final decision. I'm aware of the heat (quite hot) but the Mac guy suggested a very nice elevated lap gadget (not a cushion-- more like two bumpers that raise it up a bit) so hopefully that'll be good.

I played on one for a bit at the mac store, so I know what I'm getting. I'm way excited.

Didn't get my darn massage though tonight-- I arrived to find a note on the door that the massage person was sick and so they closed for the night early. "So sorry Kelly". I went to another salon and got a hair cut-- had to do SOMETHING due to no work out cloths and nothing fun to do at home. Going home and gettting them was not an option-- I'm a reverse commute and the other side of the street is a dang parking lot until about 8pm.

And my caseload is back to 2 patients. My boss returns from vacation tomorrow so I'll find out what she thinks about all the progress I've made on various projects. Nothing is really DONE, per say, but a waterfall effect is present so they will all be done about the same time. Hopefully.

Or she may fire my butt due to insufficient caseload. At least she has to give me 30 days warning OR 30 days pay.

21 June, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Huzzah for still going to the gym despite stiffness. It only takes a few weeks; now I'm at the point where my whole workday is about finally getting to go to the gym after putting up with 8 hours of crap. It's nice when it turns from something you have to do to something you look forward to. It'll happen, don't worry.

Sounds like you've had a good enough time already, traveling around the Shenandoah Valley with friends and staying in B&Bs and stuff. I'm certainly jealous.

I'm sure the boss will see through to give you credit for the work you've done and maybe give you a real caseload. Don't worry!

22 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home