Monday, September 25, 2006

Back to School

Do you remember walking into a new school when you were a kid? Do you remember meeting your "teachers" and finding your way from class to class with no real idea of what you were doing? Do you remember your first lunch at the new school?

Yeah, that was my day.

The climax was lunch. I shyly poked my head into the special ed room and they informed me they do "working lunches"- in other words, my desk isn't with them so move along please. They told me I could eat in the cafeteria with the teachers. I peeked around the cafeteria door, lunch from home swinging in my plastic grocery store sack, and evaluated the situation. 8-10 teachers sitting at the teachers table, with about 100 kids sitting at their tables around them. No extra chairs. No familiar faces.

I fled.

I ate lunch in my awsome but very empty office. Maybe I'll become brave tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just keep saying "hi" to people until eventually I peek around that corner and see a friendly face. Or maybe I'll spend 3 months eating alone in my awesome therapy room.

I can't say it was a "bad" day, but I'm feeling pretty much like the lone unwanted ranger. Note to self: ALWAYS invite the new girl to lunch the first day. Tomorrow's a new day. And I have my own private bathroom in my therapy room (well, connected to the room, not actually IN the room- that would be gross and reason for quiting).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least you're not going to school dances. Or walking down the school hallway full of students waiting for homeroom, and just listening to all those kids whispering about who you must be. The school dances are at least fun in their own way. But if I get one more student asking me if I'm the son of their teacher... (Although, to cut him some slack, I don't think he had actually met my wife yet.)

26 September, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the words of my mother, often said as I was yet again the new kid at school, "This too will pass."

26 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home