Saturday, September 02, 2006

Ahhhh, I still love musicals

"Writing should be easy....like a monkey driving a ski-boat...."

This has to be my new favorite line from a musical [Title of Show]--rather funny musical crapping on the writing process of writing a musical. Had to download it for fun.


Totally unrelated musical--but related topic-- I drove through the rain (thanks ernesto) with a co-worker and one of her patients up to Baltimore Friday night to see "Mama Mia". I highly recommend this musical! My stomach muscles hurt from laughing so hard. Mary had already seen it in Vegas but came to see it again-- said this one was vastly better than the one she saw a few years ago. Better cast. Who knew the songs of ABBA presented in musical form would capture my heart??? While I loved the entire musical, there's only 3 songs I absolutely fell in love with and the singer on the track for "I had a dream" did not do the song as much justice as the young lady singing it in Baltimore. I did download "The loser takes it all" and "Mama Mia" from Itunes.

Awsome set design and fluid scene changes astounded me between songs, and the chorus line of kicking scuba guys made me snort bad merlot (first musical I've ever been to that allows wine in the audience area). By the finale we were on our feet dancing with the music-- most of the audience was on their feet dancing except for a few irritated senior citizens. Sorry seniors-- the music moved me (literally) and you could use the butt boogie too btw.

I love musicals. I heard a quote once that said "musical theater is when someone gets stabbed and instead of dying he sings". *sigh* I love them. I wish everyone would break out in song randomly as they go through life. Wouldn't that be amusing???

3 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Bob said...

I'm rather fond of musicals myself, but others among us are not. And periodically I do break into song, but not normally in front of others.

02 September, 2006  
Blogger DMinor said...

Hmmm, C and I wonder, was it the music or the bad Merlot that moved you :-) . Seriously, musicals are a lot of fun. I have yet to see one based on the work of a pop act, but there are a few of them around, probably capitalizing on the success of Mamma Mia. I would like to see the one Brian May and Roger Taylor developed from the music of Queen. Alas, I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for it to come to the Bell . . . .

03 September, 2006  
Blogger CMinor said...

I wish everyone would break out in song randomly as they go through life. Wouldn't that be amusing???
Sounds like Bollywood would be the genre for you! If you haven't seen it already, try Bride and Prejudice some time. It's done in the style and is easily available at rental places in a format our equipment can handle. If you enjoyed Jane Austen's book or any of the other TV or movie versions thereof, you will not only enjoy it, you will howl with laughter! (Don't miss the outtakes during the final credits.)

05 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home