Saturday, July 21, 2007

Deja Vu- No Spoilers



Amazing. It's 11:57pm-- a full 23 hours and 56 minutes from the moment they announced they were selling the books at B&N. 23 hours and about 50 minutes from the moment I actually bought it. I read for about 5 hours last night, and read throughout the day today, and now it is over.

I savored this book, having been part of the Potter-universe for so many years. I read the first one in graduate school. I even reached the last 3 chapters approximately 5 hours ago and forced myself to set the book down so that I could truely read it in the silence of the house instead of with mom, dad or little brother popping in every few minutes. I'm glad I did.

I'm dumbfounded. I've read parts of these last 3 chapters before. Especially chapter 35. I know this chapter- knew the scene as it unfolded. It's more complete now, but I have READ THIS CHAPTER and it's wigging me out. Did JK borrow it from a fanfiction? Did a fanfiction writer steal it in it's early stages and publish it on one of the websites? Did JK post this chapter on one of the fanfiction websites to gain some idea of reviews? I feel mildly paranoid right now-- have I truely read this chapter before? But I have. It was familiar to the extreme-- there's some visual imagery present that there is no way I would EVER forget. I'm very confused.

It was an engaging book. But this deja vu is driving me batty. I will spend the next little bit of time trying to locate this familiar chapter on fanfiction.net and sugarquill.com to see if it really exists. I will wait to see if anyone else will note deja vu on reading these last few chapters. I even have some deja vu regarding the other final chapters-- but nothing so strong as chapter 35.

An epic story drawn to it's conclusion, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows takes you on a quest that means to challenge your views on friendship and life choices-- but in the end its greatest (and only) accomplishment is to finally answer the questions posed in the previous 6 books. I can see why JK is done. The fan writers will flesh out this series in the years to come. She's set it all up for endless imagination. What a ride this has been- but the bus stop has been reached so file off in an orderly fashion and thanks for visiting.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger scanime said...

Our book should be here with the next few days. Then we get to fight over who gets to read it. :)

25 July, 2007  
Blogger Rambling Speech said...

oh good heaven scanime- it's going for $18- get two copies and donate one to a friend after reading it!

25 July, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

40% off at Borders! I got mine on the 21st. Not that I've read it yet, but... well, after I finish the current book. I hope I can make it that long without someone unintentionally giving away the plot to me.

26 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home