Monday, May 26, 2008

Back to Maine- Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

Maine was so fun, I decided to head back up and wander around a few of my favorite towns that I had driven through last weekend.

My initial goal was to eat a lobster in the Lobster Shack at Perkin's cove, and walk the Marginal way. The Marginal way in Ogunquit is a 1.25 mile paved walkway that borders the ocean between Perkin's cove and the Ogunquit downtown area. When I arrived to Perkin's cove I was lucky to get a spot- then realized it was only a 3 hour spot with a ticket to purchase. That's plenty of time to get my goals done!

The lobster I had at the lobster shack was outstanding and not that expensive compared to the other lobster prices I had seen last weekend. It wasn't as cheap as buying one and murdering it myself, but it was way more humane to both Fred II and myself. I am now quite good at lobster shucking- not as good as I am at Alaska King Crab shucking- but very close! My Fred II was actually a Female and had an enormous amount of roe- which I have found I enjoy (that's the bright red eggs). I am not a tamale eater- and that's probably a good thing cause that's the green junk the lobster was about to poop out. I avoid tamale.

Then I started the Marginal way with that high powered protein snack in my belly. The weather was gorgeous. Blue sky, bluish water, brown rocks cutting the blues in half! Along the path there were numerous benches with cute little couples and groups just sitting and watching the waves. There was even one older fellow pushing his little old wife in a wheel chair half way through the walk- smiles plastered on both faces. You could step off the path along the way and explore the rocks if you were limber and brave. I'm not sure why I think I'm limber, or brave, but I walked out across the rocks to an outcropping.

As mentioned before, the rocks are sharp, not rounded like the ones in rocky Rockport, MA. When I got to the first water crossing, inspection revealed a shelf of rock a couple of inches below water (without a wave) and about 4 inches below water (with a wave), so off came the shoes and I slowly walked 2 or 3 steps across the slippery ledge. If I had fallen, I would have been wet, but not drowned.



When I came to the second crossing, it seemed pretty simple at first glance. I did notice a peculiar sucking sound as the water rushed out on either side, so i decided to sit and watch the water flow for a minute before trying to cross. Here's the crossing without a wave:



Here's a moment later! The wave crashed as high as my head, and then the water fell back into the sea with a sucking sound. I'm pretty sure there was enormous force pulling that water out to make such a noise on the rocks.



I decided that brave, or not, I'm not stupid. Especially when I'm on my own! So I headed back towards the walkway along the rough rocks- this time barefoot. I returned to my first crossing, and did not pause to snap a photo because in the 10-15 minute I had spent out on the outcropping contemplating my level of stupidity, the tide had come in. Instead of 2-3 steps in 4 inches of water, it was not 6-7 steps in knee deep water with stronger waves. Still would have just been wet if I fell- but I would have been VERY wet, not splash wet!

When I stopped to put on shoes back on the safe shore, I noticed blood dripping- somewhere on the 6-7 steps my frozen feet had bumped against a rock and broke skin. My next post may be a feverish hallucination induced post about getting my infected food amputated! My last tetanus shot was 12/05, so I think I'm safe.

The Marginal Way overlooked the Ogunquit beach. If you want to stay somewhere that has the same view, I recommend the SeaHawk with a beach view! I'm not sure what the rooms look like, but you could just sit on the porch and enjoy the view.



I wandered the shops at Kennebunkport and landed up buying a Tourmaline ring at Coastal Jewelry's. Tourmaline usually comes in bright pink, or deep green, or green fading to pink (called watermelon I think). Mine? Bright orange triangle with a silver setting. I fell in love with it. I don't have a Clemson ring from graduation- maybe I can consider this my early 10 year anniversary gift to myself! Kennebunkport was lovely, but I was a little out of place with my sleeveless shirt and my salt encrusted jeans; the rest of the clientele had on long sleeve shirts and lightweight jackets. I was only chilly in the shade- and I kept thinking that I'll be grateful for the cold in 2 weeks when I get back to South Carolina.

I've been trying to improve my eye for pictures, so I try to pick a favorite among the batch.

I had two pictures, almost I identical. This one, Sailboat #1, which I prefer for some strange unexplainable reason:



And this one, Sailboat #2, which is almost exactly the same, but I don't like as much!



Any views on this? Do you like one over the other? Why do I? I really do need to take a photography class so I can learn perspective and focus and all that jazz!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sailboat #1 has that nice little breaking wave parallel to said sailboat crashing against the shore, which is nice, and the sailboat is not center frame as it is #2. That makes it more interesting, because the picture appears to have more to look at when there's not something specific in center frame.
At least that's what I remember from photography classes 11 years ago...

27 May, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to read your blog! It always makes me smile. But 2 things....1st I'm so excited you are coming back down south in 2 weeks. That means you can road trip to Atlanta and visit me...your lonely TR friend. :) And 2nd...about the pictures...from what I remember from photography class in H.S. and doing some in 4-H...it has something to do w/ the rule of 3s or something like that. If something is dead center like your pic #2 it's not as appealing like the sailboat or the horizon line. But if you make it so that the horizon is a bit above or below the center it makes it more interesting. Same thing with you subject in your case the sailboat is it in the right third of your picture. Although, sometimes you just need to throw "rules" out the window and just go by what you like and what you see through the lens.

27 May, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read through my comment and realized that I have a ton of grammar error. I sincerely apologize. But, I think you can still get the point. :)

27 May, 2008  
Blogger Ayzair said...

Well, they said what I was going to say! My main rule of thumb with pictures, put the main object off-center!

29 May, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home