Sunday, August 23, 2009

Alcatraz

Okay, it's been awhile and a few weekends have passed. I have made the pact with myself that since I am in California for a short time, and there is so much to see, I will plan one trip each weekend.

July 26th: Visited the city and met up with Lisa, her mom, and her two nephews. We went to Alcatraz and toured the famous prison.



I've never seen a prison before, though I did work in the prison unit of the teaching hospital in Augusta, GA occasionally during my first few years as an SLP. If prisons were built and ran the same as this prison, there would be a few less people getting into prison I think. Very small cells. Very strict limits.



Beautiful views of the city and all the things that you, as a prisoner, were not to experience.



After Alcatraz, I split from Lisa's family and headed up towards North Beach to find a pastry shop. I had eaten breakfast at 7am, and had a cookie and a slim jim for lunch, and it as well past 4pm. I wandered through the streets, past cute little eateries, when I heard someone call out my name. I didn't even slow down- just kind of nodded, then blinked....then stopped. It was an old college friend and his wife from Atlanta, GA!!! I had heard through the grapevine that they may be visiting SF, but had not made plans with them! In that great big city, I happened to wander down the street on which they were enjoying a late lunch. A certain Disney song floats through my head...

It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home