Tuesday, June 27, 2006

That's a first

I just saw my first Emergency Alert for a civil emergency. They've been flashing them up for 4 days for the rain and flash floods, then this afternoon for a tornado warning, but civil emergency is a first.

Wish I knew where lake Needwood was. And where rock creek is. I don't think I live downstream of them! Apparently the dam's about to bust and people are being asked to evacuate.

Maybe I should hang a tea bag on my bedpost just in case. I might get tea for breakfast at this rate.

*gonna go check if the lake across the street is downstream of Lake Needwood*

Nope. It's north west of DC. I'm south west. I'm in the clear for that particular emergency. No tea bag needed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My danger-meter for you only recently went off, in a "hey Kelly lives in MD, wonder if she's underwater?" sort of way. Glad to hear your threat level is measurable in tea bags. Don't drive through puddles =)

29 June, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Needwood is just Northeast of Montgomery College's Rockville Campus. Its purpose when built in the mid 1960s was to control flooding of Rock Creek which flows North-South through the center of Montgomery county and DC and empties near the Kennedy Center. It allowed construction of developments in the route 355 (Wisconsin Ave, Rockville Pike) Conn Ave and Georgia Ave Corridors. If it failed at its high level during the storms, it would have put most of North Bethesda, downtown Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Western Silver Spring (including the Mormon Temple), Western Wheaton, NW DC (including Foggy Bottom and Federal Trianglee) temporarily under water. Too bad the Wash Post has not followed up.

04 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home