Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fireworks!


Karen (an OT student) and I drove over to the subway and rode into D.C. for the festivities. We arrived just as the mall was opening back up- it had been evacuated due to a huge thunderstorm with high winds. We watched the Hare Krishnas dance and play their music and enjoyed their free food (scary when it's free- but it was good and I didn't die or join the movement, so it's okay). Then we sat on the west capital lawn and listened to the live music (elmo, Stevie Wonder, the guy who plays George on Seinfield, and some other characters). The fireworks started at 9:30pm with the 1812 overture ending the show (first time ever hearing it with live cannons!) It took us only an hour to return home despite the crowd. A crazy man entertained us on the way home- he pretended to be a comedian giving a show to the train and interviewed people from the audience-- he overheard me say I lived in Augusta and proceeded to regale us with tales of stopping there for gas. He may have been slightly intoxicated, but amusing all the same.


A nice view of our capital.



Wednesday night I heard an explosion outside my window. Lo and behold, a fireworks show above the school across the street! I've never gotten to see fireworks while standing in my nightie at a window (hopefully everyone was watching the fireworks and not the girl in the nightie standing at the window like a moron!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Ayzair said...

I got to be in DC for the Fourth for my end-of-eight-grade trip, and I still remember it vividly. For some reason, I don't think we got to stay for the whole show, but I will never forget seeing fireworks exploding behind the Capitol while Ray Charles sang "What a Wonderful World." Probably the most patriotically American moment of my life.

06 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dunno...the washer woman looked a little similar at Canyonlands, but there was probably a 3 wise men or 3 gossips or 3 somethings at Arches. I'd have to check the pix.

You were at the Capital 4th! Cool. I tivo'd it, but I confess I ffwd thru Elmo.

great photos, btw. I love caves.

11 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home