Friday, August 03, 2007

Chow'da II

Haven't had any yet. (Chow'da) Heard I REALLY need to eat a "lobster roll".

Haven't found the grocery store yet!

But I found the local ice cream shop with homemade ice cream and free wifi. Yippeee! Because, well, the girl I'm subletting from is very friendly and said I could use her wifi-- but she can't remember her password. So I needed to download the user manual for airport express from the internet. To fix the internet. Do you see the problem?

My commute is awesome- 30-40 minutes from door to door-- not bad for boston. I ate in a place called Masa last night with some of the staff. $5 sangrias help you talk to strangers...

The hospital is lovely- the nurses seem to give a rat's bottom and I've already utilized interpretive services X3-- there's such a range of nationalities. This week I have treated a spanish speaker, a lady with a stroke who only speaks Greek, an unfortunate fellow with a major cerebral bleed who only speaks vietnamese, and a alzheimer's patient who only speaks Manderine. Interpretive services and I are gonna be good friends.

My apartment is a 3 story walkup in an old house. Kind of spooky-- I'm sleeping with a maglight under my pillow so I can bang any intruders over the head. The house shakes when the trains go by. But it's a beautiful place and the bed is comfy.

Tonight I visited an independent bookstore with a sign proclaiming "Free Wifi" (See, I tried to stay away from the ice cream!) And I quickly made friends with Ed, who's worked there for 3 years, used to work with special ed kids, burned out from that, and doesn't know if there's a plug for the wifi. Apparently, they have also forgotten their passwords. I heard Ed's whole life story and he involved the other two random customers in the shop, Mike and Lisa, into the discussion. Mike likes art films and Lisa is a touring actor in a series of short plays-- just here for a month. I hope it continues to be easy to meet people! Gida also let me sit at her table cause I was out of laptop power and needed to plug in-- so far friendliness reigns. Friendship? Who knows. But now I have a list of things to do and see in Boston from Ed the talkative bookseller!

I'm extremely jealous that the elmstreet crowd is meeting. I miss y'all. The first few weeks on assignment are the loneliest- but I usually have my brother to fall back on. He's too far away for a quick trip right now. So I'll just sit, be jealous, and call people randomly. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home