Saturday, May 31, 2008

Freeport and Pemaquid Point

Another Maine roadtrip, probably my last, due to the fact that my contract ends this Friday. I headed north with a vague idea to visit the original LL Bean store and maybe hit the midcoast of Maine for a pretty picture.



LL Bean was big. Had the outlet store right there, so I found a pair of shorts for $14 and a travel makeup/shower case that usually runs $70 for $25. The rest was all catalogue prices, so I just looked and enjoyed the sheer numbers of everything. I strolled down the outlet mall shops in Freeport and wandered here and there, but it's surprising how easy it is to avoid buying stuff when you know you have to move that same stuff in 1 week.

I headed east to Pemaquid Point, and into inclement weather. It rained the whole time and I'm not sure if that's what was stirring the sea up or if the sea is just that monstrous at the point all the time. There was no way to capture the fluid immensity of the area, but I sat and enjoyed for over an hour at one spot that had a view of rolling waves and swelling waves with the splash up movement.













There is just something about rolling, waving, splashing water that holds my attention stronger than anything else. Part of it is the unknown energy- where does all of that movement originate from? What will happen next? When will the next wave hit? The unpredictability, the violence, the beauty and the underlying movement of the scene keeps me looking long beyond putting the camera back on my lap.

I sat on the rock, with umbrella propped against my shoulder, watching the waves crash and roll across the rocks. There was one area that the waves reminded me of that scene from the Last Unicorn where the unicorns were running out of the waves- white thunder across a smooth rock. Another area where the waves jumped when they hit from one direction and rolled over the rock when they hit from another direction. Everyonceinwhile they'd hit from both directions and there'd be a splash a house tall. It was hard to shake the spell and head home, but the rain was falling harder and the temperature was dropping, so I headed off and found a nice fried seafood platter at a local place.

On the way home I saw a sign for "historic bridge"- screeeeetch. The Androscoggin Swinging Bridge. Ohhhh, pretty bridge.



New England is a pretty place, eh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sure is. So when are you going to lead a tour up there for your Elm Street friends?

02 June, 2008  
Blogger Ayzair said...

Wow, soooo jealous. I have no idea when I'll go up there, but I WILL!

05 June, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home