Sunday, September 07, 2008

Happy 90th Birthday, Grandma Sally!

The matriarch of our family turned 90 this past week, and we threw a little shindig (40 or so people?). We catered it ourselves (at the last minute)- I think mom is masochistic for doing so, but I helped where I could! The party turned out great, and grandma was all smiles, so it was worth it.



The tiara and throne.... when Grandma was getting surgery on her broken arm (left arm in the picture) she announced that she would NOT be sitting in a wheelchair for her big event. She would be sitting in a throne, cause she's the QUEEN (there may have been narcotics involved in that declaration). So I bought her a tiara and some pink velvet and my talented God-daughter safety pinned the velvet in a drape-like fashion over the wheelchair. I crowned her on her entrance. Mom, I think, gave her a septer.



Finally thought of a gift. Day before the party I picked out and circulated a journal for everyone to write a message to her. Day after the party I put in some of the best pictures taken at the party. Gave it to mom for her to give to Grandma on her actual date of birth (4 days after the party). She loved it. Group effort necessary for this one- but it was blood sweat and tears to make sure everyone signed it-- my family is a bunch of procrastinators! "I want to sign it, but give me a bit to think about it!" 2 hours later, "I want to sign it, but give me a bit of time to think about it!". Towards the end of the night I was cracking the guilt whip at only one or two never-to-be mentioned family members. The footwork involved was my gift-- the journal was from everyone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ayzair said...

The party looked great! And it seems the tiara was a big hit! I hope she's feeling better and home now.

08 September, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home