Sunday, August 23, 2009

Santa Cruz and Capitola

Saturday, August 1:

Drove south to Santa Cruz and Capitola with Lisa.

Capitola was a recommendation from a co-worker and it turned out to be quite a cute little town with a pier, a beach, and some cross streets of small expensive shops. We ate at Pizza my Heart, a pizza place that served thin sliced fabulous reheated pizza (also a suggestion) and walked out to the pier.



We were rewarded by a lovely view of the anchored boats, a restaurant that served floofy drinks on a roof top bar, and a live band playing old music. I danced, floofy drink in hand, with the old smiling people at the bar as they played beach music. Then we moved on towards the mission of the day: to find surfers surfing.

We found the surfers in a place called "The Hook" at Pleasure Point. The waves were lame, but some of the better ones managed to stay upright. One older fellow even managed a few turns- but of course my camera didn't catch that particular picture in time!



Finally, we headed to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and explored the games and rides. I rode the Big Dipper, a roller coaster, and screamed my head off for sheer fun. It put me in an enormously good mood. I think I shall have to find an amusement park here in California, however, I will avoid Discovery Point with their nasty roller coaster that was stuck for 4 hours a few weeks ago! Lisa hates rides, but agreed to go on the sky thingie. She was only a little petrified as we rode over the board walk. We also sampled some of the boardwalk food to the detriment of my cholesterol levels. I'm not even going to guess how many points or calories that deep fried twinkie dipped in chocolate sauce was worth!



The mission of finding a surfer dude was completed. There was dancing. There was screaming. There was eating of scrumptious snacks. And it ended in a harrowing drive through dark twisty mountain roads. It was a successful day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there- i start grad school for SLP in 1 week!!!

can u give some pointers to a newbie student!!

thanks

26 August, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, no updates to your blog in a while...Adam

05 September, 2009  
Anonymous Rachel said...

Any news on the next assignment? I'm dying for a new blog update on the life of Ms. Rambling Speech Therapist. :)

08 September, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - this trip sounds and looks amazing! I can't believe all the places you get to see (and live in!) all while being a SLP. I just took my first assignment as a traveling OT and I can only hope to get to visit all these places eventually. I got my first assignment through cirrusalliedstaffing.com and they are absolutely amazing, so I would definitely recommend checking them out for anyone who is also interested in this exciting travel therapy world!

21 September, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home