Friday, January 06, 2006

The Murphy's Move-- 7 day review

Murphy's law is hitting me over the head with a sledge hammer. Here's the set-up: Had 48 hours to pack the rest of my belongings with the truck arriving at 9am Monday. Expected the parents to come sometime on Sunday to help with packing as I am NO GOOD AT IT. Expected to get half done Saturday, half on Sunday. Results:

1. Friday night- ran a fever of 102 F at midnight and green stuff coming out of my nose. Insurance ended Friday at midnight. COBRA paperwork had not been filled out on my last day. Was up until 3am waiting for fever to drop.

2. Saturday- slept until 11am due to late and uncomfortable night. Woke up, realized insurance problem, and called a few co-workers (ex-co-workers) to problem solve with me. Andrea suggested I call an MD I work with. MD listened to symptoms, called in prescription for Augmentin over the phone. I picked up prescription, Afrin, propel water, chicken and stars soup and started treating my sinus infection. Forced myself to church Saturday evening so I could say goodbye to everyone. Debbie offered to come and help me move, but I assured her the parents would be helping and I would be working on it this evening. Spent New Years eve packing boxes.

3. Sunday- received call from parents-- mom sick too and dad can't come until "late this evening". Called Debbie from church in panic- she came and packed with me for 4 hours (Plan to send Thank you note and gift certificate!) Dad arrived 8pm and helped pack the kitchen and clean the oven. Side effects from medication, gut related, started Sunday morning.

4. Monday- pouring down rain entire time packing truck. Help arrived in the form of a friend's son and nephew who were paid for their services-- they arrived on time and did ALL the lifting. good news at last. Barbara (friend) helped me pack last minute stuff. Dad and I moved the truck contents into storage and some into house. Besides rain, and continued medicine effects (frequent bathroom breaks), move went moderately smooth.

5. Tuesday- Took load in Uhaul to goodwill and to dump. Dump was closed! Went back home to drop off trash, including matress and really long ladder, and then dropped off truck. Put old microwave and air conditioner into the back of my car to deliver to dump on Wednesday. Did lots of planning and paperwork.

6. Wednesday- stayed in PJs until 3pm. Loaded songs on ipod, did multiple loads of wash, did recerts for medicaid, watched TV. :-) Gut effects increased ten-fold and MD was called. Was told I had a semi-serious problem and given another prescription to avoid colitis. Dad and I headed to dump at 4pm and found out they'd take the microwave but not the air conditioner. Grrr. Headed to Augusta apartment to clean and finish the last few bits. Air conditioner "fell out of" my car next to an apartment dumpster-- too heavy to pick back up. Call me for the full story. Dad left. I cleaned until 1am Thursday.

7. Thursday- finished cleaning. Carried large amounts of trash in car to dumpster. Went back to hospital as visiter and finished paperwork and turned in recerts. 1 outstanding report to be completed this weekend and mailed in to appropriate places. Confirmed COBRA. Loaded car, turned in keys and final rent (prorated- yeah!). Went to Guppy's house and landed up staying the night. Ate wing stop french fries (yeah again). New medicine worked well.

8. Friday- Dropped off stuff at storage. Went to parents' home and promptly fell off of steps while walking down. Landed in fetal position after banging knee hard and twisting ankle. Spent morning with ankle elevated and both knee and ankle with ice bags attached. Took motrin. Did bills and cancelled services to old place (sit-down activities). Took a load up to storage after wrapping ankle well with bandage. Stiff and sore-- wrote blog.

Well, there you are. Did I mention I'm NEVER sick and I've NEVER sprained my ankle before?

What a move. Get off my back, Murphy!

Addendum: Called my travelling agency-- they don't have a place for me to live yet and I'm moving in next Friday. Not my concern- they will find a place for me I'm sure!

4 Comments:

Blogger DMinor said...

Nothing is ever, ever simple, is it.
I hope that sinus infection is past now. And, now that you have most of the trouble over with, you can enjoy your new location, "Hon." :-)
BTW, limping is my schtick, so no more falls, OK.
Take it easy, we're pulling for you!

Dminor

07 January, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly.
Welcome to Smitty's World! This is always how new major changes in your life are supposed to start: in the worst possible way! That way, no matter what happens once you settle in, it will seem wonderful in comparison. Just keep that in mind.
I now completely understand why you couldn't come up on the 1st.
Just keep on plugging.

08 January, 2006  
Blogger Crunch said...

Yikes!!!

That's some serious moving story. I hope you feel better.

10 January, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

03 October, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home