Thursday, February 16, 2006

Whine and Cheeze

Received a lovely card from the choir, from my parents, and a carnation from my apartment complex (for two whole heartbeats I thought it was from a sweetie, but nope). Both brothers called me, but I couldn't talk long because I had plans.

Plans were-- met nice person from church several weeks ago and exchanged phone numbers. Elizabeth called Sunday night and invited me out with her friends. I ordered Ismiele (totally spelled that wrong-- something with bean paste-- fellefial? Help me out Smitty) and it was bland. Dinner conversation was lively and consisteted of a fast paced conversation of what I needed to see in Baltimore and a good conversation with Bruce. Bruce was dad's age, works with computers and has a "side" job of teaching clinical skills to doctors. Remember the Seinfield episode where Kramer got the job as a patient? That's what Bruce does. Cool.

Took me an hour to get there and 20 minutes to go home-- technically I didn't get lost but I certainly took the scenic route there! It was good not to be home on Valentine's day. And apparently there's a great St. Paddy's day celebration downtown that I need to watch out for- complete with parade and a good time for all. Note to self: go drinking on St. Paddy's day (like I need a note for that!)

Wine tasting was last night again. This time people from work actually showed up and I ran into a new friend from last week. And a guy named Steve that hit on me-- but he was dad's age and I passed him on to an older friend. I left them talking. Nicole and I de-buzzed at the grocery store and I vowed (again) to ask for smaller "tastes" due to intoxicatory effect of wine on my empty stomach.

I may join a kickball league- I need to find out if I'll miss the season or not! It starts next month and it goes until April? I leave April 17th. I'll have to check that out-- even half a season would be fun! Kickball is HUGE up here-- bigger than football. You go and drink with young professionals and then kick a ball around-- and you get a Tee shirt. Wheeee! Sounds like fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Okay...
St. Paddy's day better be good in Baltimore. Your mayor is named Martin O'Malley.
(Don't get too excited about him, though. He was supposed to be Baltimore's Giuliani, but he's fallen notably short and is giving up on the city after only one term to run for governor. Rudy would never have abandoned his city like that.)

You probably had hummus and falafel. Hummus is a chickpea paste with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and paprika. I think it's wonderful. It would be served with warm pita bread.
Falafel usually comes to you in little bonbons. It's a mix of chickpeas (unless you ate in an Egyptian restaurant, in which case it would be made with fava beans) that are ground before being cooked, flavored with parsely, garlic, paprika, sesame seeds, onion, and other spices, then deep fried. It's basically Middle Eastern fast food.

16 February, 2006  
Blogger Rambling Speech said...

Not hummus-- I would have known that one. It was falafel paste that was inside the sandwich, but the sandwich itself came with feta and a hummus paste to add onto the falafel and was called "Ismeilli" or something like that. But falafel was definitely the sandwich base.

17 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home