Friday, March 23, 2007

The loom of the big Three-ohhhh

It's coming.

I got invited to a movie and dinner with friends, and I declined. Instead, I lay on the couch for hours with no TV and no music thinking I should get up and do something other than worry about turning 30.

And then Brian called and said, "it's the last decade birthday you can celebrate", which didn't seem like a reason to celebrate at all. Then he told me I had to think of what he and my parents were going to get me for my birthday because this years gifts should be "symbolic". So, I guess the itunes daypack is out. Perhaps a piece of jewlrey?

Any ideas on what I should ask for on this very symbolic and apparently important and dooming birthday????

Honestly, all I can think of is maybe a funeral plot, or stock options, or something equally depressing... any ideas?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still vote for a tatoo. :)

25 March, 2007  
Blogger scanime said...

Tell them you want a Nintendo Wii. It's popular among senior citizens, and Ty pointed out that it's being used in retirement homes now, too. (article)

26 March, 2007  
Blogger Rambling Speech said...

Rachel- little bro and I have decided to follow up on that idea as a sibbling bonding experience. I'll post the design as soon as we decide what we're getting.

27 March, 2007  
Blogger Ayzair said...

Oooh, Baltimore has all kinds of bad influences on our little Kelly!!! I seriously doubt you'll suddenly turn old at 30, not the party girl you've become!

28 March, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe I should get a tattoo for my birthday. That would be something. I have the design all picked out and stuff.
Of course when my folks asked what I wanted to do for my birthday, the only response I could think of was "not have it." Smittygirl has some things planned but I'm not anticipating reveling in the experience of growing older in the same rut I've been in for two years. Celebrating birthdays makes less and less sense to me every year.

But if you're supposed to get something meaningful may I suggest:

1 A piece of jewelry. Not something on sale for $29.99 at Zales, but a real piece of jewelry, and not something you won't wear but once in a rare while, something you like and would wear frequently. It may be earrings or a necklace or a brooch or whatever, but the point is to be something you like and you would want to wear, not something intended to be meaningful that really isn't your style

2 A relatively ornate wall clock, with a pendulum or other moving parts, with nice decoration that would go with a lot of things and that you'd eventually put in the living room and not hide in the den. This is for if you really want to revel in the theme of getting older

3 Art. Not a print but original art, something unique and to your taste that you would like to showcase in whatever abode you have for however long you abide.

29 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home