Sunday, March 02, 2008

Goodbye Macon

I start at my new job tomorrow morning, so I'll go ahead and say goodbye to Macon. My trip from Macon to Beverly took me past my brother's house to hang with nephews, bro and sister-in-law. I had a great, but way to short, visit with them. Friday I stopped over in Baltimore to celebrate a friend's birthday. The late night left me with 4 hours of sleep and 8 hours of driving the next day to Beverly. The new apartment is quite depressing and brown- a 2 story townhouse with brown floors, brown couch, brown and blue bedspread, brown EVERYTHING. I bought a red rug and 2 red pillows just to "pop" my apartment a little and today was spent hanging pictures and scattering stuff to fill the space. It's quite a large apartment and the furniture doesn't begin to fill it-- I'll also have to get used to walking upstairs to go to bed (as if it wasn't hard enough to pry myself off the couch!!!) Here's a few last pictures from macon.


A picture from the riverwalk in Macon,GA. Very pretty walk with strange dookie-like sculptures. Very nice playground for kids. I went here with a visiting friend (Adrienne) and decided that while I could go alone during busy times (weekend afternoons) it was a bit too isolated for afterwork or early morning.



Could not resist. Only in the south would the sign say "ya'll".


Ocmulgee indian burial mounds. Big weird hills with flat tops. I was on the tallest one, but couldn't manage to get it in a picture so here's a small one.


View of Macon from the tallest of the Ocmulgee burial mounds.

In closing, I was pleasantly surprised by the shear friendliness of the people in Macon and Gray Georgia. I enjoyed attending the women's exercise group with Melissa and crew, and Curves of Gray was absolutely wonderful (the owner, Kris, is wonderful to talk to and everyone was extremely friendly around the circle). The togo option at the Old Country Buffet was a great way to eat out. The Cox theater was a great source of good movies in comfortable chairs. And of course, the staff at Coliseum (especially the speech staff) were super friendly and awesome. My only regret is that while I met wonderful people, we didn't spend time outside of work and exercise- it's hard to keep track of people you "barely knew". There's not a lot of stuff to do in Macon, but the people there are quite friendly.

Here's hoping Beverly offers both a source of entertainment and friendly people. The hospital looks tiny from the outside but the job should be varied.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Rambling! It's been forever since I checked anybody else's blog, and I see I've missed a bunch. I just wanted to say hi, and tell you that we sent your invitation to Columbia. I think. I'm pretty sure. Yeah, I just checked. I hope that's still a reasonable address and your folks will forward it on to you.

07 March, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home