Sunday, November 15, 2009

Yosemite National Park

My dear friend Lisa whose travels as an Occupational Therapist have led us to the same city set up the trip to Yosemite during my busy month of working weekends, visiting family, and entertaining visitors to my little unofficial hostel. It was Incredible.

We attempted to drive in Friday night after work, but decided to stay in a hotel instead. Saturday morning we finished our drive, parked our car at Camp Curry where we would be staying the night, and started our 6.8 mile round trip hike up 1900 feet. If I remember correctly, only a bare additional 4 miles (8 miles round trip) would have taken us to the coveted Half Dome peak. So we hiked about halfway to Half Dome! The hike was outstanding and took us to the top of Nevada Falls by way of Vernal Falls- best hike I've ever taken in my life. Most of the hike was comprised of stone steps and it was indeed strenuous as the guidebook suggested. I had no idea that I was capable of such a hike- and two mornings later my leg muscles reminded me that next time I need to train a little harder before attempting such a hike!

The Path:


Vernal Falls:


Nevada Falls:


The closest I got to Half Dome:




Dinner was a reward of fried chicken from a local fundraiser in the park and my bid at the silent auction left me empty handed and disappointed. That night we lingered in the communal lounge by the fire playing Apple Scrabble (Lisa KILLED me on the game) until it was time to go to bed in our unheated tent.



Let me write that again. UNHEATED tent. And the temperature dropped to the 20's. I was perfectly warm in my 3 wool blankets provided by the rangers, but my face was freaking cold and had to be pulled under the blankets every hour to warm up. As a person with a history of mild breathing problems, I do NOT like blankets over my face while I sleep, and even though my brain tried to convince my lungs that breathing under the blanket on THIS particular night was a good idea- the lungs just wouldn't agree. They insisted I submit my face to the chill, so the rest of me woke up every hour to reheat the frozen face. I've now slept in freezing weather in an unheated tent- I will never plan to do so again! Not without a ski-mask anyway!

The next day was spent visiting the Visitor's center, browsing shops, taking a small hike to the base of the iconic Yosemite Falls, and driving the scenic route home. It was a lovely and empowering weekend. I'm hoping very strongly that I'll get one more chance to visit Yosemite before the end of my assignment in December- I'd love to see it snow-covered!

The trip reminded me that I really must take a basic camera class- I was disappointed by my pictures and deleted about 300 of the 400 I took. Here are a few of the best ones- but I'd love another chance to capture some of the images I managed to overexpose/underexpose or ruin with sunspots.

Autumn in Yosemite:


Playing with the Shutter:


Reflections:


A random lake on the drive home:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Graham said...

Just found your site today. I love the pictures. I'm a speech therapist in the UK - we don't have anything like Yosemite here - but it's still beautiful.

Thanks for the interesting blog.

18 November, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

loving the blog! as a student in grad school , can u discuss specifics about becoming a traveling SLP. did u do it right after grad school? what types of placements are avail ? is pay any different? do u know anyone who is married thats a travelling SLP? It would be cool to do it together - exploring new areas- almost like a extended honeymoon :-)

please tell us about it more.thanks

20 November, 2009  
Anonymous Random Inspiration Blogger said...

Wow. Fantastic pictures!

03 February, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home