Sunday, March 30, 2008

Beverly, Manchester by the Sea, Rockport

So it's time to post some pictures! Sorry for the lull. My first weekend here was settling in, my second I had to work both days at the hospital, and my third weekend was focused on Easter. I did manage to drive around a little that weekend, but I managed to actually stop and explore a bit this weekend.

It was a little cold on the beaches. Didn't realize it was icicle cold until the end of the day. Aw, frostbite.



This is Rockport, MA. Nice little spot of cute shops with some amazing views. I ate a lobster at Roy Moore's-- he boiled it 12 minutes in seawater and sent me out on the frozen deck to eat it. The butter was solid before the end of the lobster, but I wasn't using butter anyway. I've been ruined- it was the best bug I've ever eaten and it's only 25 minutes away!!!



Pretty rocks. I followed a ramp for divers to get this picture. People DIVE near these rocks??? Maybe DIE, but not DIVE! The waves were huge.



This is Singing Beach- a dog beach in Manchester by the Sea. There were lots of cute puppy dogs running around, but I chose the picture of the rock. I'm really into the rugged rock pictures right now.



And this is Manchester by the Sea. There were seagulls carrying shells high into the air, then dropping the shells to the rocks below to open them. Seagulls are larger than I would expect them to be-- they're about the size of a chicken. Wonder if they taste like chicken? heheheh.



Look, a seashell.



This is a beach in Beverly, MA. Small and rocky, it's still a nice place to go and think.



BTW, got a call from one of my very good friends today who is trying to get a ticket for me to see Spring Awakenings in NYC next weekend. Hi Lisa! Now you are mentioned on the Blog. I will blog the heck out of next weekend if you get me a ticket!!! :-) Lisa is one of my Baltimore friends who came to explore Boston last fall with me. I failed to blog the visit- maybe I was blocking out the miserable cold wet rainy nasty weather we trudged through. Or the chocolate covered pear that had the live maggot inside. Or the married guy that hit on me all night before introducing me to his wife (I still throw up a little in my mouth when I think about that). Could be a combination of all that! But now it's blogged and I'll have a reminder of that crazy weekend afterall. Thanks Lisa! Geesh, what I'll do for a friend. :-)

ANYWAYS.

Here's my favorite two pictures.

This is a picture I snapped out of my car window of the Twin Lighthouses on Thacher Island, Rockport, MA. They are the only surviving twin lights on the US coastline and were built in 1789. I never got another view of them, but the car shot didn't look that bad! Turned out to be one of my favs.



I spent about an hour and a half sitting in the cold on this beach near Rockport, MA. I found it by driving down every small road towards the sea until I found one that had public access. I never saw another person anywhere near the beach, and I just sat and pulled things together for awhile. I've been thinking over some life issues, as is apt to happen as one approaches a birthday. I've been dwelling my choice of traveling, my religion, my plans for the future- always a good time to look at yourself and take stock of what you see. I think the only thing that was decided when I left the beach is that I was going to have to head back to the car to avoid irreparable frostbite, and I will own a place on the coast sometime in my life.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Finally a new posting. I LOVE reading your blog. :) Pretty pictures too.

30 March, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

5th time was a charm! haha

30 March, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Damn. I missed the birthday. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How was it? I'm trying to avoid getting thinky around this one, not least because it's about the most boring one ever. 31? Blah! I realized recently the only interesting birthdays left are the decade ones, and the next decade one... it's the one with the black candles on the cake and stuff. best just not to think about it at all. Ever. For any reason. No more birthdays!!!

Well, here's hoping yours was fun. And cold lonely beaches ARE nice places to sit and think when you need to. I've done that before. It's always good to sit and ponder now and then.

02 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home