Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Do not go quietly into that good night

I forgot that someone can rally right before death. I warned the other therapists not to get too excited because she wasn't able to eat and had previous wishes for no feeding tube. I warned them that death was inevitable. But when she started improving in my therapy, my optimism and excitement leaped in. And then she passed less than 12 hours later (I wholly reject the word "expired"- we are not milk). That last rally- how miraculous and how cruel.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Hi, Rambling Speech. I've never commented, but have to say reading your blog is the most entertaining part of my day many days. I long for your courage sometimes!
Just to agree with you - I NEVER use the word expire when talking about people. Yes, we are not milk or any other food product. S/he "died" is enough for me. Please continue blogging your adventures - true life stories are always the best. I'm sure you'll have wonderful stories for the grandkids one day. :)
- Katie, SLP

08 December, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and love it already. I'll be coming back...please keep writing!
Thanks
Sarah, SLP

23 January, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home