Saturday, April 17, 2010

Driving South

My frantic tour of the south has begun.

Today, left San Jose at 6:30am (dragged myself from the bed).

Drove down 101 for a very long time.

Arrived in Santa Barbara at 11:30am and toured around the courthouse, which was absolutely beautiful. Old wood, murals, and tile- I'd show up to traffic court just to look! Ate at a place called Jeannie's just around from the courthouse- loved the turkey and cranberry wrap. Shopped at some spiritual store and bought some CDs on a whim- didn't need them, and not sure why I bought them, but I shall endeavor to listen to them. Drove around the lovely little town and then headed south on hwy 1 to Santa Monica.

Halfway there I finally got ahold of my Holiday Inn rewards program and realized I could get a free night at a Santa Monica hotel on the pier-- but only for SUNDAY night. Reshuffled the schedule and continued to head south past Santa Monica.

And hit L.A. traffic. 2 hours later, (for what should have taken 40 minutes), I arrived in San Luis de Capistrano. Parked, called around, and reserved at Best Western Inn by the Sea in Dana Point. Cute hotel, nice desk person, but very tricky. They promised me a view of the ocean and I have one-- about a 12 inch view from behind the elevator. Tricky tricky. If he hadn't of said it was a ocean view room I'd be perfectly happy- it's a very nice little inn with a courtyard, a sun deck that DOES have an unobstructed view of the ocean, and a jacuzzi. It's a one block walk from several restaurants and a bar. You can hear the ocean from the rooms (even from behind the elevator!). It's clean and well kept. I just feel a little scammed for my "ocean view". Ate eggplant parmesan at a local Italian restaurant and am now typing and eating some skittles (taste the rainbow).

Tomorrow-on to San Diego to meet up with friend Adrienne who may want to explore the San Diego Zoo with me. We shall see. Today was a whole bunch of driving and a few nice views. Tomorrow it's time to explore.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss you, Rambling Speech! Hope all is well on West Coast. Update when you can - I so enjoy your posts.

30 June, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss you, Rambling Speech! Hope all is well on West Coast. Update when you can - I so enjoy your posts.

30 June, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from an old SLP in Augusta. Hope you are well

11 July, 2010  
Anonymous Lisa said...

I love your blog. I just ran across it and would love to hear more about your reflections! I'm a speech path in Illinois and have always thought about doing what you are doing. Keep up the postings!

07 August, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home