Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Being quite a distance from home, I was forced into alternatives this year for Thanksgiving. Last year, in Boston, I was invited to a co-worker's house and ate a lovely dinner as a guest. Honestly, I'm blanking on her name. It was lovely and awkward to be in someone else's house and sitting at their family table.

This year I answered an ad in the church bullatin to attend a potluck- I even offered to set up/clean up. After purchasing enough greenbeans for 30 people I was sad to learn it was cancelled. The organizer stated there was a lack of interest- but invited me out to a late lunch with herself and two others who had answered the call for a potluck.

We ate at a place in Lafayette named Petar's and I'll admit I wasn't able to clear my plate! I had a fabulous turkey dinner- very plain and simple and VERY much what I would have eaten back in SC except the turkey was roasted and not fried. The dinner conversation with the two 70 year olds and the 40 year old organizer ranged from health issues, to money issues, and finally to traveling adventures (my specialty!) One of the elder ladies, Shirley was her name, used to be an airflight attendant and spoke about her traveling-- Switzerland in the early winter was her favorite. She remembered the thick snow clumps falling on a sea of black umbrellas which was the first sight that met her when she looked out the window that first morning. It's moments like those, irreproducible, that I hope I'll have a stash of by the time I end my own wandering. The 40 year old, Brooke, had health issues, which reminded me that life is unpredictable and I am doing the right thing by seeing what I want to see at this time. She landed up with my greenbeans after stating that she loved greenbeans, and offered to teach me to knit, (a task that Rachel had started and I have yet to follow up on). The other lady, Maureen, stated her opinion on various topics and used to be a librarian for a law firm.

I enjoyed it. It was more comfortable going to a restaurant than to someone's home, probably because it was neutral ground and didn't involve the complex social skills of being a helpful guest. We were all guests, and the conversation flowed around the table. Would I have liked more in depth philosophical topics? Most of the time, yes, but small talk was enough while I stuffed enough turkey and dressing into me to feed at least 3 of me. Even with my stuffing myself full of stuffing, I had enough for leftovers- so dinner tomorrow night will be the traditional leftover turkey, dressing, veggies and potatoes!

Not a bad Thanksgiving. I would have liked to have been home with the family, but I'd trade Christmas over Thanksgiving any day as far as prioritizing time off.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home