Saturday, April 10, 2010

Kidnapped by Stress and Fun

I did not get kidnapped in Jamaica. I'd have liked about 2 more days there (the sun actually was OUT our last day- making me desire just a little nap in a warm sun instead of the chilly windy beach trip I experienced instead). It was a grand time though. Old roomie from college was an awesome partner in crime in everything but karaoke (who can blame her need to sit back on THAT one) and really made the trip worth it. We walked up a waterfall, we laid on a beach (slightly chilly due to a cold front) we played checkers with the security guard, we tried lots of sweet drinks, we wandered and swam and ate lots of desserts. It was a nice getaway. Jamaica mainland was scary- and we stayed on the resort to avoid it.

California is still fun, but I find myself slowly disengaging from the traveling life as I contemplate settling down and finding a permanent job. I've been at this 4 years- was only planning for 2 year. The economy and job market scare me a bit and I worry about whether I'll find a permanent job or will I be forced to continue traveling out of necessity?

I've slowly looked at my disposable income and expenses and am ruthlessly chopping back and coupon cutting. I'm examining my retirement portfolio (nowhere close to retiring, but by early 30's I should at least have a better managed plan instead of a target retirement date plan). I'm looking around at my belongings and trying to gauge what is important to me. I'm making lists of things I want to accomplish by 40. I'm slowly getting ready to become boring and I'm slightly scared.

On the upside, a guy at work asked me on a date. I blew him off (politely) but there's hope in that department. I really can't get involved with anyone 2000 miles away from where I plan to be in 2 months. It's not fair to the guy- he's nice though and it was nice to be hit on.

Other fun stuff- went kayaking for the first time in 10 years or so and had a blast. I planned to go again this morning but it rained and I just didn't think cold, wet and worn out was something I wanted to face this week with. Elkhorn Slough in Moss Landing, CA is just brilliant to kayak in- calm waters, otters playing around your boat, seals, birds of all varieties, and enough people in the water to feel safe but not crowded. The farmer's markets continue to amaze and thrill me with all the varieties of fresh fruits and veggies- though in the back of my mind I'm telling myself that SC does not have farmer's markets like this. The churches have been nice, but instead of picking one I seem to be slowly rotating through all the Catholic churches in the area. There's a limbo feeling within me as I move through the daily routine. What's next. What comes next?

The only reason I extended my contract is that they gave me 6 days off between my original enddate and my extension start date. I plan to use those 6 days to visit southern CA so that I've seen it. So far, the only firm plan in to stay in Pismo Beach the first night. After that- wandering I will go!

And the weekend after that I head to Seattle for a conference. Those plans are already set- hotel/air/conference fees already paid. Ride to and from airport being provided by co-worker's husband. It's all good.

Of course, signing an extension threw a new stress into life. They unfortunately had rented my apartment by the time the extension was signed. So I have to move apartments. The apartment is on the other side of the complex so for the next few nights I'll be carrying over belongings. Tuesday they move my furniture. Thursday I head South for 6 days. Today I finally got my taxes done, though not printed and in the mail yet. Tomorrow I am working. Just a little stress to make it all fun.

So after my taxes get in, and after I move, and after I frantically tour southern CA, and after I go to class in Seattle, I'll work on my resume and see if there's luck in the air in SC for me. What's next? What comes after all the traveling and moving and adventure? I have a better handle on what's important to me in life, and a great competency in all areas of Speech Language Pathology, but will the ducks line up appropriately or will they continue to wander despite my attempts to organize them? I guess that, in itself, is the next adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home