Sunday, January 22, 2006

Balmy Baltimore

I arrived Friday, unloaded my car under the careful watch of the old local homeless guy, and inspected my new surroundings. 20 foot ceilings, corner room with brick interior on all outside walls, a window overlooking a parking lot (which has provided a bit of drama so far). Laundry room is next door. Elevator occasionally misses my floor and takes me one up or down to the basements at its whim. Starbucks is a block in one direction (the semi-safe direction) and McDonalds is a block in another direction (the semi-dangerous direction).

My apartment is truely cool. It's broken into 2 living spaces. The front space is comprised of the kitchen and a smallish foyer which has become my reading nook (if only the company would get me that 3rd lamp they promised!) It's a renovated factory from the early 1900's with original brickwork still in place on outside walls and around my walkin closet. In fact, the original hardware from the doors are still present-- it took me a few minutes to figure out why there were 2 metal rings on the wall beside my closet (original hinges) and a stange looking hook on the other side (original latch).

Work is interesting. I took on my full caseload Friday after 1 day of orientation, 2 days of half-caseloads, and 2 nights of studying all the levels of paperwork that need to be completed. According to rumors, it used to be a nursing home and is being transitioned into a step-down unit for the local hospital. About half the rehab staff are contract. I've been out to happy hour and lunch with the staff and everyone seems very nice.

I've eaten in Little Italy (yummy), walked a bit around the harbor, found a grocery store and the long street open air market. Plans to explore the Aquarium and get tickets to broadway shows at the Hippodrome (a convenient block from my apartment).

Yesterday I drove to D.C. to visit family and big brother took me to Citronelle (five stars) for a martini that knocked me out of my socks. Then he took me with his wife and friends to Zed's Ethiopian restaurant-- which also knocked me off my socks! The food was great, we ate the courses family style scooping from a central plate. No instruments were used during the meal--only the flat bread and our hands. It was like eating dinner with a pancake. It was lovely.

I have a laptop now and am hooking on to a nearby wireless network. Whoo-hooo! I'm in business. As to the weather, it's a chilly night but comparable to a chilly Georgia night. Still haven't used the ice-scrapper...

P.S., so far I've seen the crime team dusting for finger prints in the lot next door (someone broke into the parking lot's attendent's box) and woke up at 2 am to people screaming (namely, a girl). This guy and girl were struggling and hitting each other. Just when I was about to call the cops, he apologized and they kissed-- lover's quarrel extraodinare. Drama. I'm not moving my car to that lot afterall!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger scanime said...

We demand pictures of the new digs. And the aquarium is a must-see. I haven't been there since around 7th grade or so in Pennsylvannia, but I do remember having a great time. I also remember the teachers forbidding us from going to Hooters for lunch.

23 January, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I second everything Scanime said. We must have pictures.
And now that I can go to Hooters every Friday, I find that the shine is really off the place. The food's just not that good.

27 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home